Here are some facts about the Chinese Language!
1. The Chinese People are the largest single ethnic group in the world – so, form of Chinese is spoken by
more people than any other language. Around 1 billion people speak Mandarin.
2. Mandarin is the most widely spoken dialect of the Chinese Language. Other dialects include
Cantonese, Taiwanese, Yue, Hakka, Min, etc.
3. Mandarin Chinese is mostly spoken in China, Taiwan, Singapore, and Malaysia. It is also widely used
in the many Chinese communities (Chinatowns) around the globe.
4. Mandarin Chinese is also one of the six official languages used by the United Nations.
5. Mandarin Chinese doesn’t have an alphabet. It is written with symbols or Ideograms. These symbols
are called Chinese characters. Chinese characters represent the oldest writing system in the world.
6. There are over 1,00,000 Chinese characters recorded in the most advanced Mandarin Chinese
dictionaries. New Chinese symbols are developed all the time, so the amount of Chinese characters
never stops increasing.
7. Not even the native Chinese can read all the characters of the language. Mere 1,000 characters are
sufficient for basic literacy and around 3000 words are needed to be known to enjoy a movie or read a
8. Chinese is a tonal language. It has four tones. So each syllable, or word, can have four different
9. Words you already know from Chinese – Kungfu, Taichi, Chowmein, Schezuan – and yes – all of them
10. You will have to take up a different name when you start learning Chinese – the Chinese alphabet is
not sufficient to write an Indian / English name. “Mera naam Chin Chin Chu!”